This is my friend Michelle. Michelle and I have known each other since junior high. We kind of HAD to be friends because our last names determined that our lockers were very close to each other and our schedules were identical. Before long, we were spending the night at each other’s houses, collectively ignoring each other’s little siblings, walking across town to go get oreo concretes, and generally solidifying our friendship by lusting over celebrities and listetning to music. We lost touch after high school, and finding her again is one of the main reasons why you will never ever convince me that social networking sites are lame. They are AWESOME if you find the people you want to find. I could tell you some stories about Michelle, but since she can share some stories about me too, I think I’ll just pass.
Anyway, Michelle is married to Jim, whom we (or maybe it was just me) met in junior high. I dunno. These memories get fuzzy. At any rate, Jim and Michelle–they’re like two peas in a pod, like milk and honey, like peas-and-carrots-Forrest-and-Jenny, that’s what they are. (Sorry to have to compare you to an idiot, Jim, it’s the only analogy I could think of. I owe you one.)
Well, Jim is in the Navy and he is currently deployed out to sea in areas unknown, helping to keep it safe for me and mine and you and yours to lay our pretty little heads down at night and sleep the sleep of safety and security like only our Armed Forces can provide. In otherwords, he kicks butt (and not just metaphorically speaking) and while he kicks butt he sacrifices. And Michelle? She sacrifices, too. Because it’s not easy, of course, to be separated from your other half. And I imagine that it is especially difficult around the holidays.
Michelle commented here yesterday that she’s having a difficult time getting into the holiday spirit this year. She asked if I had a little extra holiday spirit to share. And for friends, I always have enough cheer and love. So, without further ado:
10 Reasons Why Michelle Rocks! (Not in order of importance, but in the order I think them up):
10. She finds sarcasm to be a beautiful thing.
9. She crushed on Wil Wheaton just as hard as I did in 7th grade.
8. She is compassionate to children, animals, and friends.
7. She unlocked my locker for me every day, several times a day, for the first two months of junior high. (I in turn made sure we didn’t get lost in the hallways).
6. She let me put make up on her, including eyeliner, when it was very, very obvious that she was not comfortable with another person holding sharp, pointy objects near her eyeballs.
(Unrelated: eyeball is a funny word. Seriously. Say it quietly to yourself. It sounds funny.)
5. She likes wine.
4. She likes wine a lot.
3. She speaks her mind.
2. She loves Jim fiercely, unabashidly, and she does not hesitate to show it.
1. She has grace in her sacrifice–she does not complain, she is not resentful, she is a STRONG woman.
You may or may not know Michelle personally, but you are invited to write your own reason why you think Michelle ROCKS! Seasons greetings and many MANY blessings to you, my friend!